Considering getting a Bonnie, what kinds of problems should I expect?

Hey guys,
I love the looks of Triumphs and considering getting a used Bonnie of some 2000's with low milage. But, I spoke to my mechanic who is a friend and someone I trust. He said that Triumphs are not reliable and brake often, plus are expensive to fix. I know that if he said it its probably true but I want to double check. Do you guys agree with that?
Is it expensive to maintain? does it break often? How reliable is it? I live in NYC and want to use it as every day transport, could I rely to use it everyday with little or no hassle by just simply leaving it on the street and starting it every day?

Thanks guys!

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Respectfully, I know you said that this mechanic is your friend but he honestly does not know what he is talking about when it comes to these Bonnie engines. I enjoy the history side of Triumph, hence the reason why I love Triumphs, Harleys, and Indians. John Bloor bought the rights to Triumph and the modern classic lines were the last to be resurrected after the name of Triumph was brought back in the other markets such as the Daytonas and S3. Bloor's attitude was that it could be British made, be competitive, AND be as reliable as their competitors...the Japanese brands. What this resulted in was an over-engineered/under-stressed motor. If you hunt around, you will see that owners of these Bonnies often do several modifications to amp up the horsepower, why?...Because there is a lot of untapped horsies in these motors because of how they have been over-engineered. You can google it if you wish and you will find reports coming in of people getting a 100,000 miles on these motors and all they have done is basic maintenance, i.e., oil, filter, and plug changes. As a guy that has been riding for 36 years now, getting a 100,000 miles on an air cooled engine without ever overhauling the bike is an amazing accomplishment and it doesn't matter where the motor is made...it is an incredible accomplishment. These motors are solid to say the least and they profile gorgeously as the British parallel twins are famous for. If reliability is holding you back then its time to stop worrying and go find a Bonnie and put that grin on your face as you roll her down the road.

Perhaps your friend is getting the Meriden and Hinckley Triumphs mixed up which is common for people that are not familiar with Triumph. Hinckely got it right on the motor and fixed a lot of the quirks with the Bonnies that were coming out of Meriden. Comparatively, this could also be seen with Harley during their AMF years compared to development of the EVO motor. Harleys are no longer the leaking machines that break down every 50 miles either...same with Triumph. The Hinckley motor is solid.

Last edited:

KingBear

Hooligan
I would refer you back to this thread covering much the same topic, i.e. prospective owner with a buddy who bad-mouthed Triumphs. I'll say here what I said on that thread...

smells_like_bullshit.jpg

The Bonneville is as solid and reliable a bike as you will find anywhere. All vehicles - cars or motorcycles - are expensive to service, Triumphs no more than any others. Try getting parts or service for a BMW motorcycle. A good, low-mileage 2000 Bonnie at the right price would serve you well as long as the previous owner(s) didn't mess it up.

Ride a motorcycle, not a bandwagon!

Last edited:
I get the feeling your friend is thinking about the old Triumph. The Meridan machines were a bit spotty as far as reliability goes, but that was in the 60's and 70's. That Triumph is gone, albeit alive in spirit.

With the new Triumph the spirit lives on, married with world-class engineering and performance.

I suggest checking around a bit on your own and not relying too much about what your buddy said.

Respectfully, he may be living in the past.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
Your mechanic is probably thinking about the Bonnies Built in Meridian and weren't a low maintenance bike.

The New Bonnies out of Hinkley are stone cold reliable. They have a modern motor that has been over engineered. They are a quality product waay up on the fun scale. I've been happy as a clam with my Bonnie. I can think think of no other bike I'd rather have.

That being said, there are some common problems like a cam cover leak that are easily cured, even if it crops up, usually by warranty. Of course a problem like that in no way affects performance or reliability.

If you buy a used one you won't have any problems with it and a plus will be that you'll probably get one that has after market pipes on it and other mods that are done right away to get a bit more power out of the over engineered motor. Guys usually remove the Air Induction or AI and put pipes on that make it sound like a motorcycle.

slowgator

750cc
The Legend Continues

When you post such an inquiry to a Triumph blog you must expect responses from Triumph fans who are loyal to the brand and will encourage you to get on one, despite any perceived shortcomings. I am with the consensus of the responses and suggest you follow your heart and ride a Triumph or two if you have not already done so. If you do this, it will be a done deal. Nothing else handles like a British twin, IMHO.

Having owned both Meriden ('70 T120R) and Hinckley ('07 T100) built Bonnevilles, I can attest to the improvements in technology and I can only assume your mechanic friend is referring to pre-Hinckley models, although I had very few problems with my '70 Bonnie outside of Lucas electric which has been replaced with the Hinckley models.

I think if you do some research, you will find modern Triumph reliability matches up with the best.

Bottom line, you go with what you like and it sounds like you like the Bonneville. Me too. Went to a classic bike event today in St. Augustine and was pleasantly surprised to see British Iron outnumber Harleys and other makes. There's an almost mystical aura about Triumph, BSA, Norton and Royal Enfields that I don't see in other makes, which will most probably keep me on a Triumph for all my remaining riding days.

Go with your heart and get on a Bonneville; you will not regret it!

Guys I can't thank you enough for your response. Some of you took my questions seriously and gave really well thought out answer and I really appreciate that. Perhaps he did mean the old Meriden engines, I'm not sure. Also, I am a bit ignorant when it comes to the history of this company. What year was the company resurrected?
I know that I am asking a site where people are just a tad bit biased but some of you guys listed great reasons for your logic and thats something I can understand and use to help make my decision.
I ask asked this question because we all know that Europeans build beautiful things, cars, bikes, whatever, but they are not known for being too reliable. The Japanese make things that rarely break if you do regular maintenance. BMW's and Mercedes do last a long time but something always breaks on them, even the brand new models. I know i am comparing bikes to cars but just going off my experience.
Are you guys saying that Triumph's can hold their own next to Japanese bikes reliability wise?

When it comes to looks you guys are preaching to the choir, I love the retro looks and how they feel. Only thing holding me back getting one is the reliability factor. I want to know all the downsides of this before I make a decision to move on. I already know the upside of owning this beautiful machine :)

Gretsch

Rocker
Your friend is thinking of Ducati :D

In all seriousness the only problem you'll have is wanting to ride all the time.

Easy13

Street Tracker
Having owned and ridden American, Japanese and european bikes, I'd stack the current Bonneville-series bikes up against anything out there. The airhead BMWs are, IMHO, the most bulletproof motorcycles ever made(I still own a '71), but for reliability and ease of maintenance, these triumphs are top shelf.

I said ease of maintenance and this deserves some words. It's true that the Honda 1100 Shadow will last forever so long as you keep clean oil in it, BUT, Gawd help you if you gotta bend a wrench on it. Most Japanese bikes are really not that user-friendly to work with. The same may also be said of newer eurobikes, with the sole exceptions of the Triumph Bonneville/Thrux/Scrambler(and the T-Bird, for all I know), and the Ural. These bikes are so easy to work with, and they BEG for modification. IMHO, only the Ural is easier to work with. But then, a Ural aint a Triumph, is it?

Bottom line: Have no fear, Amigo. If you're leaning toward a Triumph, go for it. You won't be disappointed. And with sites like this one, you've got a built-in support group to talk you into all sorts of ill-advised modifications and tinkerings.

Last edited:

strokerlmt

prof......I have to disagree 150%......My 2003 T-100 has been the best and most reliable ride I have ever had. Not expensive to purchase, great after market not expensive mods and very very reliable.
Don't know who your mechanic is ....I'm sure he is experienced I just disagree with his read completely.....
LMT

Nick Morey

Rocker
I would refer you back to this thread covering much the same topic, i.e. prospective owner with a buddy who bad-mouthed Triumphs. I'll say here what I said on that thread...

smells_like_bullshit.jpg

The Bonneville is as solid and reliable a bike as you will find anywhere. All vehicles - cars or motorcycles - are expensive to service, Triumphs no more than any others. Try getting parts or service for a BMW motorcycle. A good, low-mileage 2000 Bonnie at the right price would serve you well as long as the previous owner(s) didn't mess it up.

Ride a motorcycle, not a bandwagon!

Perfect... I knew I'd heard this gripe before. Absolute bullshit! Bonnies are the real thing! Period!!

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Also, I am a bit ignorant when it comes to the history of this company. What year was the company resurrected?
I know that I am asking a site where people are just a tad bit biased but some of you guys listed great reasons for your logic and thats something I can understand and use to help make my decision.

http://www.ianchadwick.com/motorcycles/triumph/

I am somewhat of a history buff especially when it comes to bikes so I love it when these topics come up. Use the link I put on top and it will give you a run down on Triumph and its history up to 2003. Pretty good site that I often go back to just to have a good read. There are basically three locations when you talk Triumph; Conventry, Meriden, and Hinckley. All three cities are on the direct outskirt of Birmingham which Birmingham could be compared to Detroit. This is where everything was manufactured back in the day: Triumph, Norton, BSA, Rover, Rolls Royce, Enfields, Jaguar and so on. Conventry was the start but Triumph was forced to move locations because of the German air raids during WWII that bombed Birmingham heavily and destroyed the plant. Meriden factory shut down where Triumph was the last of the bikes to survive and a workers co-op was started to continue on with production. If you are really interested in their history, then I suggest you might like reading "Save the Triumph Bonneville" by John Rosamond. Mr. Rosamond started out as a welder at Meriden and ended up being one of the directors for the workers co-op. This book is a must read for any Triumph history buff.

Then there is Hinckley. John Bloor bought the rights to Triumph and was known to always loved Trumpets. He initially made his success as a developer where he traveled around on a Bonnie with a side car. He bought the rights to Triumph AND the rights to the triple engine that the co-op originally designed before they shut down. Bloor brought Triumph back to what they are today and he did it in a very shrewd and effective way. Interestingly, the Bonnie, or how Hinckley coins the line, the modern classics were later on the list to bring back into production. The Daytona, Speed Triple, Trident...these bikes were brought up first in the nineties. Mr. Bloor did not want Triumph to become a "retro" bike company and aggressively sought out to engineer bikes that met the demands in the more modern market. Once this was achieved, THEN the Bonnies were brought back. He did this because of the task he knew he had to face in defeating the reputation that the Meriden bikes had developed through time. Another interesting thing is how John Bloor was able to keep everything so secret before Triumph launched back into the market...they shocked the market when they were back. Mr. Bloor even traveled to Japan to speak with representatives from Honda and Kawasaki under false pretenses to evaluate matters. This is pretty humorous considering the fact that the Japanese makers used this same exact technique in the sixties before launching their products into the market. Mr. Bloor essentially turned the tables on them and did the same thing they did before bringing Triumph back into the biking world. Check out the link...I think you will find some interesting information.

Are you guys saying that Triumph's can hold their own next to Japanese bikes reliability wise?

Without hesitation and to put it simply...YES! John Bloor bankrolled his own funds on this concept and Triumph still remains a privately owned company today. This was his first line of attack when bringing the Trumpet back. As reliable or more than the Japanese bikes and that Britain could manufacture a quality product that the markets would want. He nailed it. Honestly, I am waiting for a book and/or movie made about this man but he is supposedly a very private person that doesn't care much for interviews and the spotlight. 100,000 miles on an air cooled engine says it all for me. Also, these bikes are easy to work on...whether you are talking about turning a wrench or getting parts for them. Do some digging around and I think you find yourself very pleasantly surprised.

hs01jowe

Two Stroke
Get one, they've got more passion in one screw than the japanese got in a whole bike.

It's a complete package with speed, quality and excitement!

koifarm

Hooligan
I think your mechanic buddy was a Harley rider.......just sayin'.....

Try one, you'll like it. I would hope you are in a section of NY that is relatively a low crime area...parking on the street?.....find a garage, man.

Lone Trumpet

Street Tracker
20,000 touble free miles.

Similar report here... over 23K primarily trouble free miles. Nothing more than a weeping valve cover and a leaky petcock. Nothing I'd consider anywhere near a deal breaker.

Based on my personal experience, I'd recommend a Triumph to just about anyone. :up: