Time to replace rear brake pads?

aquinas

Scooter
I heard a weird noise coming from my rear wheel and even stranger noise when stepping on the rear brakes. I hardly ever rely on the rear brakes and only very lightly step on them in certain situations before cornering.

To my surprise, the rear pads were completely ground away and I did a number on my rear disk.

I just ordered some new pads and parts and thoroughly cleaned all the gunk on the pistons and spring. I hope this was a case of it just being time to replace them (5500 miles) and not something else systematically wrong.

What else can I check?

Attachments

• 296374_2532366386937_1186832884_33036215_645784671_n (1).jpg
    296374_2532366386937_1186832884_33036215_645784671_n (1).jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 0
5500 miles seems a little early, especially how infrequently you use them. I wonder if you're not resting your boot on the brake pedal at times. It's been a while since I had stock brake pads (I use sintered metal pads now), but I seem to remember my stock pads not lasting very long.

aquinas

Scooter
I keep my right foot firmly on the peg and nowhere near the brake.

I too just purchased the sintered metal ones and will see how those go. I guess I should be more diligent in inspecting my brakes every so often. Thanks for the idea sweat.

5500 miles seems a little early, especially how infrequently you use them. I wonder if you're not resting your boot on the brake pedal at times. It's been a while since I had stock brake pads (I use sintered metal pads now), but I seem to remember my stock pads not lasting very long.

Twodogs

Street Tracker
I changed out my original pads at 15,000klm's (That is about 7,000miles I think) having done 6,000Klm's of those myself so I cannot confess as to how the other owner rode but I must admit that I use the rear brakes a lot and it is good thing to do as it is an essential part of riding a bike. The rear brake is 40% of your straight line stopping but it is also what you use when going almost stand still slow to maintain your balance without putting your both legs down and looking like a kids action figure doll on a bike, it is also what you use when changing your line while corning if you need to decrease speed slightly and dip in as using the front brake or backing off and stabbing the throttle gives you the wobbles, it is also whats stops you from flipping when you are popin a mono and start to get past the point of no return. The rear brake is a good speed retarder without upsetting your motion or direction where as the front brake can wash out your front wheel if used too hard when cornering. That is just my thoughts, I may be wrong, I have been before as I thought I was wrong once but found out I was mistaken. Just check your pads when you change the oil (That would be every 2500 miles wouldn't it??) that way you cannot miss them wearing out on you and check them weekly when they are getting close keeping a replacement set on hand.

Last edited:

aquinas

Scooter
Haha thanks twodogs.

I agree with everything you said. I mostly ride in light traffic around town but realize now that I do indeed use the rears at low speed quite a bit. I'll be more diligent in checking them with my oil changes.

mark66

TT Racer
Seems a little soon to wear those pads right down and ruin the disk also. I did my rears at just under 5000 miles and they hadn't reached the wear indicator marks yet. Maybe the pads were sticking a little and not releasing right away. What ever the reason I guess you'll be checking them more often now, huh. :)

strokerlmt

That is early.....IMHO either the rear wheel is slightly misaligned or the caliper is. If the wheel is true and when the bike is on a lift and you spin the wheel and you hear some rubbing perhaps you need a couple of washers in between the caliper and caliper mount to true the caliper. Hope that makes sense.
Best
LMT

Twodogs

Street Tracker
I had a thought...if the wheel is not cocked..(which I have done before when I miss counted the notches on either side when tensioning my chain and that definitely would of caused the pads to wear if I hadn't of noticed)..... could the breather hole on the cap of the reservoir be blocked causing a hydraulic lock when the brakes have been applied therefore not allowing them to release so then they have been dragging causing them to wear out sooner then they should off. I would be making sure the cap and seal are clean. Make sure you don't top up the fluid before you fit the new pads other wise it will spill out when you press the pistons back to fit the calliper back on the disc. Before you fit the pads, put the old pad back against the piston and using a g clamp or similar force the pistons all the way back home. Have someone watching the reservoir as you are doing this to make sure it doesn't overflow. This will allow you to fit the new pads over the disc but will also make sure that the pistons are not binding or jammed/seized which may have caused the pads to drag and cause the premature wear. After it has all been fitted up pump the pedal a couple of times to move the pistons back out and push the pads up against the disc, making sure it is a nice firm pedal. Then check your fluid level. Spin the wheel and apply the brakes a couple of times and make sure there is no excessive drag. As a rule the new disc should be fitted with new retaining bolts but if the original bolts are being used then at the least these retaining bolts MUST be loc tighted in.

If your riding mostly in town doing stop and go it won't take long to wear them out.. I think the stock pads are a soft material anyway.. I travel long distances on my 09 T100 and my first set of rear pads wore out at 26K miles.. I am still on the original front pads at 33K miles.. Who needs brakes, they only slow you down when riding.. :up:

Allen....... rideaholic

KingBear

Hooligan
I replaced my front pads at about 8,500 miles and the rear pads a short time later, but I probably should have changed them both at 6,000 or 6,500. I don't think 5,500 is all that early, especially if you exercise balanced braking (2 parts front to 1 part rear). Just change the pads and keep an eye on them. I'm guessing an alignment problem would have manifest itself with an uneven wear pattern on the brake pads and/or rotor. As long as your braking is positive, smooth and quiet then all is well.

LoVel

Two Stroke
I replaced the rear pads on my Sprint at 6000 miles. I didn't think I used the rear brake all that much and was shocked to discover they were about done.

If your riding mostly in town doing stop and go it won't take long to wear them out.. I think the stock pads are a soft material anyway.. I travel long distances on my 09 T100 and my first set of rear pads wore out at 26K miles.. I am still on the original front pads at 33K miles.. Who needs brakes, they only slow you down when riding.. :up:

Allen....... rideaholic
Similar for me with my rear pads changed at 23 k and still had a few thousand miles to go when changed. Front pads were worn out at 12k.