Sal Paradise close call

Bonafide

NBR founder
Koi ... I pulled that link to Trat. If Sal wants to share his story here, cool - but I see no need to post links to TRat.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Anatomy of Near Wreck

Here it is. I just hope it helps someone else be more careful and aware. Its amazing how one little thing can happen and then you are a second away from a nasty wreck. A couple things thing I did notpost on TRat; When I pulled the bike out yesterday I had that little feeling of dread and I thought about putting the bike back and taking the cage . I rarely get that feeling and it always passes when I start riding , but maybe next time if I am riding into heavy traffic and I feel that weird nervousness I will put the bike away. Another thing, I am not a racer but I do like a bit of spirited riding when I am out in the hills. Those sport riding reflexes saved my ass. I also think its likely the light itself partially obscured the cars which were just a little bit up and beyond the light.

Anatomy of a Near Wreck.
I am at work trying to get my hands to stop shaking, and feeling that awful post panic weakness. I nearly ran into a car at 60 mph this morning coming into work. I dropped my defenses and stopped thinking for a few seconds and it almost cost me big time. I am posting this as a caution. Do not get in the wrong frame of mind while riding.

My commute is really challenging , crossing Newburgh New York on Route 9w . This is a heavily trafficked industrial corridor with heavy commuter traffic. I should have known to stay off 9w but I take the back roads most of the way and I just have to get on it for a few miles passing the city on the east side along the river. The road is fairly hazardous, a bad location (HAL) with lots of serious or fatal accidents, tons of commercial and industrial property along the road and everyone is driving aggressive. As usual I was thinking defense having passed the city and heading down a hill on a 4 lane section approaching the last light before the road crosses the river on an old truss bridge and opens back up to country. But then I got distracted.

The distraction was a jacked up red jeep with no roof or doors passing me on the left. I looked over and saw the driver was texting. That’s right, he was leaning way back almost reclining holding a blackberry up to his face and the dude was punching in a text message! Just what we always bitch about and one of my pet peeves. I was instantly furious, and started thinking about this. I thought “the cops should enforce the laws against this… I’m going to give this a—a piece of my mind when we stop… blah blah… my mind went on a little road rage rant. Meanwhile we are approaching the light at 45 mph and there are probably 20 cars and trucks around so I am watching them, and I realize that the jeep is going to run the yellow light . I suddenly remember that I am late for work and my boss is back from vacation so I decide to go through as well. All the cars are stopped and I look left and right to see if anyone is going to jump the light. They are staying put. As I pass under the light I gas it and I look up and I see the signal turning red. I am going about 60. Approximately 3 seconds have passed since I first saw the jeep driver texting and got distracted.

I look down from the light and there is a red Honda stopped directly in front of me! Two cars are just sitting right in my lane 200 feet from the intersection , right on this busy highway. I just SEE his bumper coming at me at 200 feet per second and instantly grab a handful of brake. I hear the rear tire lock. I remember thinking, or just knowing that I am going to have to let off the brake and I hope I don’t high side. I knew I was not going to stop. The image of that red bumper is burned into my brain forever. I don’t remember if I checked my mirror to see if the left lane was empty, maybe I did or maybe I already knew it. I knew the right side was a solid guardrail with no shoulder. Before I realized it I switched lanes and blew past the two cars. But it was seriously close. I saw two older Hondas just stopped with 2 mexican guys just sitting in them. I pulled over about a half mile past and stood in the grass shaking and gasping for air. I tried to wait until I felt okay, but there was something dead there and the stink drove me away.

Needless to say, I rode the next 12 miles to work a bit more cautiously. I was trying to stay focused but it occurred to me I made at least three critical mistakes. First, road rage. I got pissed about the guy texting and instantly forgot what I SHOULD have been doing. I should have been slowing down and looking ahead. Second, I tried to run through the light. I was back in commuter mode. Never again. I need to focus on other things besides the light changing. I need to watch for cars.. Third, and most important , I got “get home- itis”. I was so focused on getting someplace that my safety became secondary. This was a known hazardous area with lots of accidents and it was there that I let myself get distracted. I think because the light was at the bottom of a hill that the light itself blocked my view of the stopped cars which were up hill a couple hundred feet. I need to go back and rethink how I got myself to the point that I almost slammed into a car at 60 mph.

On the positive side, of course, I did not hit the car. Everything is fine. My reflexes were fast, decision correct, skills up to the job. I did not panic. I handled it just fine. Another guy might just shake it off. But I was literally a half a second away from splat. And that is not good enough for a guy with a family at home and promises to keep. The human brain was not designed for operating vehicles. It reacts to other people with anger, it gets distracted, it makes mistakes, it remembers it is late for work, it talks to itself and forgets what it is doing. I try to train my brain to think safety. But now I know, distractions can shut all that off and if you let that happen –

THE REST OF YOUR LIFE MIGHT ONLY BE THE NEXT THREE SECONDS.

Think about that my brothers and ride safe.

Last edited:

Bonniebret

Rocker
Glad to hear you're ok, Sal. I know sometimes I can be guilty of checking out. I'll catch myself and then kinda grip and release the bars to regain focus. Thanks for the cautionary tale.

D9

Vendor
Pretty intense three seconds - helluva write up. A reminder.

Glad you're ok.

buckstoy

Street Tracker
Glad you have a story to tell, I'm a bit like you in that the inner dialogue can be kind of loud and distracting, and I have a temper. I just remind myself that I will lose every time vs. a car and that helps me focus on the task at hand.

DandyDoug

750cc
Glad you made it safely through that.
It happens to me sometimes, then I catch myself and start yelling at me in my helmet. I get mad at me for not paying attention and then I really concentrate to make the rest of the ride the best of my life, because I know I was again very lucky.
I'll bet it happens to a lot of riders.

slowgator

750cc
Thanks for the great wake-up call for us all, Sal. Be a while before you forget that little lesson, eh? Glad it didn't cost you your ass. Valuable post.

jewel

Scooter
Sal, I agree with you with the road rage. I am 50 now and tend to take most things with a grain of salt whilst I'm driving the car but I do tend to get a bit aggro when on the bike and someone does something stupid and upsets me. I know that my riding becomes more aggressive when someone in a cage does something to annoy me such as not pulling over into the turn out land to enable me to pass when on my favourite mountain on the twisties and then I think calm down I want to live to be a grandma, so I have to take a few deep breaths and eventually overtake the inconsiderate Sunday drivers on double lines - am I bad??
Anyway thanks for story I will get my 21yr old son who rides a Street Triple his first bike, to read it and hopefully it will remind him to always be aware. He is in the rural fire brigade and it is his job to pick up the pieces of many bike accidents that occur on one of the mountains near where we live so he does know the importance of riding safely but your story reminds us to always aware.

Jewel

neuroboy

750cc
thanks for posting. . . no matter how many times i read accounts of near misses i continues to remind me of what's at stake when one's mind wanders on the road.

FrankieD

Scooter
I commute on my bike in Chicago rush hour traffic daily. You can go 80mph to stop for no reason whatsoever.

It is very easy to get distracted mentally. Whether fightin with your girl, a hottie in a convertible, a dick head tailgater, an exotic sports car etc. Its so easy to forget how vulnerable we are on the road.

Thanks for the reminder, glad you're ok.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
I wish there was a Mr. Peabody with his Way Way Back Machine so I could get 30 seconds of my life back.

A 15 second warning so I could slow down and not do a flying W over the Black's handlebars when a guy pulled out in front of me and just stopped.

Another 15 seconds so I could stop in the middle of traffic and put the 4 ways on in my Semi before I blacked out and plowed into 7 other cars.

Hell, I'd take just 10 seconds.

Ride careful cuz not only are we fools at times but everybody else on the road is a fool on occasion.

Threewheelbonni

Two Stroke
Glad to hear it turned out OK and thanks for posting. I think it shows a mature and professional attitude to riding to look at a mistake and decide what you'll try and avoid next time. Sal is the sort of rider I hope is in the next lane to me on the commute rather than the "Cagers tried to kill me, had to lay 'er down, off home to make the exhaust louder" brigade.

When I have such near misses I go back and read this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorcycle-Roadcraft-Police-Handbook-Motorcycling/dp/011341143X

I'm sure Amazon could get copies shipped to the US or you could find a source locally.

The manual is great in that being designed for police riders it doesn't get into the blame stuff. If a car pulls out on you, sure it isn't your fault, but it's your skill in observation, road position, the right speed and so forth that ultimately saves you. The texting jeep cretin would wind me up too, but a refresher in the look-as-far-ahead-as-you-can stuff tends to get my mind off where I'd like to shove that Blackberry and back onto the traffic.

Andy