My first countersteering

dr_cerebro

Two Stroke
Hi everybody.
I have just 10 days with my Bonnie, and this is my first motorcycle. I wanted a Triumph Bonneville since 30 years ago. We are just getting to know each other. I had a problem trying to turn on a corner, I did a wide turn, wider than I wanted.
I've been reading a little about countersteering, and watching some youtube videos, and I'm going to try that tonight. I will try to do it at 50 km/hr.
I'm a little scared.
Let's see how it goes.
I'll try not to die.
Regards.

Last edited:

Pauljp

Scooter
Congratulations on your new Bonnie.
It is my first bike as well.
When I started, I also went wide in the corners, it just takes practice.
Counter-steering is really the only way to turn a motorcycle at anything over ~20kph.
You will really enjoy it when you get the feel for it.
Good luck and ride safe.

geolpilot

Street Tracker
Please get and read Proficient Motorcycling by Hough. It can save your life! I read it after being a rider for nearly 50 years and still learned a lot.

dr_cerebro

Two Stroke
Thank you for your replies

Hey, I did it twice and I didn't die, but I need a lot of practice, there were a lot of cars and I didn't feel safe to try some more times. Countersteering worked.

Geolpilot, thank you for the recommendation. I will order it as soon as possible. I already ordered "Maximum control: Mastering your heavyweight bike", that should arrive today, and "A Twist of the Wrist Vol II: The Basics of High Performance Motorcycle Riding", that sould be delivered in about 20 days.

Thanks for your replies.

Roger

Street Tracker
Hey, I did it twice and I didn't die, but I need a lot of practice, there were a lot of cars and I didn't feel safe to try some more times.

You said it right there. I use something I call 'hot spots' in traffic. I avoid these and never ride on these roads. Just way too dangerous. These are only two that I stay away from because of really heavy truck traffic, too many commuters and construction.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=AB-216+N&daddr=Meridian+St+NW&geocode=FXUEMAMdoIY--Q%3BFcd-MQMdf38--Q&sll=53.499483,-113.310585&sspn=0.174811,0.528374&vpsrc=6&hl=en&mra=ls&ie=UTF8&ll=53.525207,-113.46199&spn=0.174705,0.528374&t=m&z=12

and

https://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Exit+400B&daddr=Yellowhead+Highway+W%2FYellowhead+Trail+W&hl=en&geocode=FXVpMQMdNoQ--Q%3BFT55MQMdzqA5-Q&sll=53.574977,-113.48053&sspn=0.1745,0.528374&vpsrc=0&mra=ls&ie=UTF8&ll=53.575588,-113.503189&spn=0.174497,0.528374&t=m&z=12

If you look at these in Street View, they don't look dangerous. There is a whole lot more traffic than you can see there.

In addition to literature, I also found Twist of the Wrist video helpful to visualize it as well. It's cheesy as hell, but well worth the watch.

Remember, don't ride outside your skill level and the rest will come with practice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVWNinsmkAw

Skill level. That would include how well you know the road, and turns ahead of you. If you have never rode on a certain nice stretch of road, don't push faster. bluesforchallah posted that vid link. Ya... it's an hour and a half long, but everyone should watch it. And cheezy is good. Whatever Keith Code says, you should learn.

Thanks for linking that blues

Keith Harding

Two Stroke
Good stuff, Dr Cerebro - keep practicing and it will come quickly enough.
Remember also to look at where you want to go rather than at what you want to miss! It sounds obvious but we can all use a reminder once in a while.

dr_cerebro

Two Stroke
Thanks for your replies.

I've been practicing at very slow pace, but feel a lot safer than the first day I tried.

I hope to do it naturally soon.

dr_cerebro

Two Stroke
This is the one:
581498_562734447096596_375854086_n_zpsa7b71c0b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Roger

Street Tracker
Very nice bike Doc. I sure like the red frame and the black engine. You are fortunate to have a bike that is easy to ride. Thanks for posting that pic.

dr_cerebro

Two Stroke
Very nice bike Doc. I sure like the red frame and the black engine. You are fortunate to have a bike that is easy to ride. Thanks for posting that pic.
Thank you Roger.
I was not totally convinced with this color, I wanted something more traditional, like the Jet Black, but I finally decided for this one. Everyone seems to like it. A lot of cars stop outside of my garage to see it.
I like it very much.

Stunning bike dr_cerebro! I agree with everyone recommending Twist of the Wrist II. The book and the video contain so much useful info.

dr_cerebro

Two Stroke
Thanks. I watched the video, it was very, very helpful and I liked that it is in plain english, I had no problem to understand the dialogs, I'm waiting for the book to arrive. I was practicing about an hour last night, and I'm doing it better.

The rear tire looks better too:
20130813_152622_zps68cfadff.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

dr_cerebro

Two Stroke
Please get and read Proficient Motorcycling by Hough. It can save your life! I read it after being a rider for nearly 50 years and still learned a lot.

I received this book last week. Honestly, every motorcycle rider should read it. Thank you for your recommendation geolpilot.

DIRK

750cc
add my vote for twist of the wrist also take a couple of instructor lead track days after you have miles on the bike. ( pridmore class)

Hughesy

Scooter
Every time you ride and corner, above walking speeds, you are counter steering. It's the only way to turn a bike (motor or push-bike).
What newer riders don't understand is that it is the leaning of the bike that causes it to corner, not the turning of the bars. The pressure on one end of the bar causes the lean, which in turn causes the turn.
I'm a big believer in witches-hat turning. Getting practice at quick turns during slower runs. Counter steering is something you feel. Once you start thinking about it too much, you start to tie yourself up and disaster results.
The main thing is that you recognise your limitations and ride within them.
If you can recruit a more experienced rider to watch you ride and mentor you, I think that is much better than any book (as good as TOTW is).
..just my 2 cents worth. :)

dr_cerebro

Two Stroke
Thanks. I was lucky to find that color. I like it very much.

My countersteering (and general riding) have improved every day. I enjoy riding my Bonnie.

JimmyR

Street Tracker
Nice bike! As others have said, it is a very easy bike to ride and steer. Good choice!

Counter steering works on the same principle that keeps bikes upright - gyroscopic force. So as soon as you are going fast enough for the bike to stay upright by itself you are going fast enough to counter steer. I am fortunate in that I have ridden bicycles my entire life. So I never even realised I was counter steering until I read Proficient Motorcycing - great book. It really is a feel thing. No need to force anything.

But now I know that it is countersteering I enjoy pushing the left grip forward to shift to the left lane. Steering a bike is nothing like steering a car. Completely different logic.