Finned sprocket cover DIY

D9

Vendor
Required items... Bonneville America / Speedmaster finned sprocket cover ($15 on fleabay) bench vise, various wood blocks, hacksaw, coping saw,
angle grinder, flex shaft tool and grinding burrs, portable drill with flap wheel, safety googles, gloves, ear protection.
If refinishing the cover add aircraft stripper, PVC gloves, coarse and fine scuff pads.
I'd estimate the project difficulty level as moderate.

I started by stripping the cover, with plans to polish and chrome the finished piece. Several applications
of Aircraft stripper were necessary to remove the factory finish, with scuffing required between applications. If
stripping, roughen the surface thoroughly first as the stripper will be more effective.

Cover was marked with a sharpie marker, using the stock sprocket cover as a rough template. Clamped in the vise,
a series of cuts ensued using hacksaw and coping saw - cover was repositioned in vise as needed
for cutting access - followed by filing and grinding. Tip - lube the coping saw with bar hand soap periodically.

Initial mounting on the bike looked promising, but the overall projection from the engine case and
surface area still seemed overly bulky, still too much cruiser DNA - on a black bike with a black cover, perhaps not as much of an issue.
Revised contour was marked, then back to the vise followed by several more cuts and shaping with the angle grinder,
files and rotary tool. Out of the vise, carefully scribed a line 1/2" in from the existing cover edge, then clamped back in the vise, began
carefully making the side cuts to reduce the overall cover depth. Once complete, checked cut for flatness with a straight
block of wood, filed slightly as needed, rechecked, then filed and contoured fins to blend to finished edge, making
use of a 120 grit flap wheel to smooth all edges.

Back on the bike, the revised shape looks better to me than the first effort... seeing some other design possibilities starting with the same cover.
Fasteners are M6 x 35 button head stainless.

Step-by-step photos
http://s192.photobucket.com/albums/z276/D9davidnyne/Finned Sprocket Cover DIY/

Slideshow
http://s192.photobucket.com/albums/z276/D9davidnyne/Finned Sprocket Cover DIY/?albumview=slideshow

installed3.jpg

Last edited:

D9

Vendor
Appreciate the comments... plenty of room for improvement & experimentation... that
stock BA / Speedo cover is one big-ass piece of sprocket cover - there's an unfinned version as well - might be good for some cutting thru with
the waterjet. I was trying to figure out something to do with the cut off section... which was most of it!
A few days out now, think I need to cut off more of the lower section. Pinwalls has these for around 15 bucks... too cheap to pass up.

Key part of the operation IMO.. reducing the overall depth of the cover by a
heavy 1/2"... before doing this, it just stuck out from the case too far... there's room
yet to make it lower profile, but would have to begin removing some of the internal ribbing inside the cover... may go there anyway, just to see.
Pic taken while hacksawing through the side:
sidecuthacksaw2.jpg

Last edited:

britman

Scooter
Joined the finned club...

Thanks to D9's post I performed surgery on an America sprocket cover this pass weekend. Went with satin black paint to match the engine covers....
I am thinking of using the large section I removed as a pizza pan. That is one large hunk of metal in stock form.....

America3_zps2781206a.jpg

America1_zps86f80dae.jpg

America7_zps47e18e6e.jpg

D9

Vendor
Looks great, looking forward to seeing it on the bike.

We should have contest... most creative
re-purposing of the LARGE expanse of metal that
comprises the back half of the trimmed BA cover... pizza pan
not a bad idea... I was thinking spatula :D

Last edited:

britman

Scooter
Looks great, looking forward to seeing it on the bike.

We should have contest... most creative
re-purposing of the LARGE expanse of metal that
comprises the back half of the trimmed BA cover... pizza pan
not a bad idea... I was thinking spatula :D

The strange thing is I like the look of the America, great lines on a bike, other than the sprocket cover. I think I am taking my cut off parts to the recycle yard. Should be worth enough for a new rear tire at least. Thanks for sharing with your initial post and photos, you are a true metal wizard......

Flaco

750cc
im likin thia contest idea'r
You must learn Espanol!

Usted debe aprender el español

"Me gusta la idea de competion."

Continúes al compañero y diga hola a su amigo y Papá para mí.

Flaco... (Translates to fat in spanish.) At least that's what I've been told...

I can't speak a word of Spanish and or English...:wave:

Skeeter

Rocker
i cant type on the POS cumputer i was using since mine shit the bed, i now i have a brand spankin new one!

Twodogs

Street Tracker
I don't normally suggest something regarding somebody else's work but to make it look extra trick what about filing the paint off of the high points of the fins?

Skeeter

Rocker
ive been thinkin of foin that to mikr after i powdercaot so itll look like the jugs on the triumph--- black with the high point buffed aluminum

rbirkey

NBRAdmin
Staff member
D9,

I just may give this mod a try! I found the sprocket cover on eBay and bid $25... we'll see if I get it!

rbirkey