Bonneville dresser rail install problem.

Brylcreem

Scooter
Hi all, I bought the dresser rail as they are now reduced to £19.80 + post.. well cheap,
so I went straight out to the garage to fit it, i removed the rear mudguard as instucted, they supply 8 x M8 20 bolts with the package, used 4 to secure the back of the rail, the front fittings line up with the threaded holes in the frame right behind the upper shock bolts, but the bolts only turned once before locking solid, this happens on both sides,
I checked the hole depth and condition of thread and looks ok, could the bolts be wrong thread or wrong bolt, instructions say it’s same as the others M8 20s.
Will contact them when they open next week.
Anyone heard of this sort of of thing happening before,
Many thanks
Dave,

Last edited:

rbirkey

NBRAdmin
Staff member
It could easily be that if bolts were never in those holes, the paint from the factory is still in the threaded hole. You may need to first clean those threads out with a tap. I've seen this condition before with other factory placed threaded frame holes.

Brylcreem

Scooter
Hi rbirkey,

Many thanks for your reply. I spoke to a guy at lings about the issue and he said to take some pics of the threads and he will check if there is a problem with the bolts or threads. When I saw the close-up, well-lit pictures, it was obviously a rust problem. The holes are open to the elements. So I sent him the pics anyway and he came up with the same answer as you. So I got a cheap tap wrench from an auction site and did the job as soon as it arrived, and it worked a treat.

Thank you for your help rbirkey and sorry for the delay getting back to you. I’ve not been around. Plus when I got back, I got a rear wheel puncture 5 miles from home. So I walked to a local Argos and bought a small pump. It turned out to be a slow leak, so I finally got home by pumping the tyre up every mile... lucky old me.

I removed the wheel and took it to the local bike shop, so all now fixed and ready to go again.

Dave

Last edited:

rbirkey

NBRAdmin
Staff member
Dave,

Glad you got to the bottom of the issue, with a low-cost solution! Online auction sites are great for this! I use eBay in the US all the time!

You were also very inventive in solving your flat tire issue! Way to go!

Randy

Brylcreem

Scooter
Dresser rail has since been removed to fit new Lucas style rear light, plus indicators and ignition relocation bracket.
She looks much better for it.